When it comes to web design, there are many different routes you can take throughout your design process, but how do you know you’re on the right track?
Well, lucky for you, we have just what you’re looking for.
When designing a website, there are 5 main principles of design that you should be incorporating into your website that will get you more conversions.
Having a good balance means that it is not heavily weighted and has an even feel throughout the page. This means that you don’t want to have it all dark on the bottom and not on top or a heavy sidebar on one side and nothing on the other. You want to have a mixture and blend so that it has a balanced feel to it. Your site should also have a simple design. A simple design is something that will improve your conversion rate. Having a website that is full without any white space will come across as cluttered and can be hard to read. A clean website will also make it easier for visitors to know where everything is and doesn’t make your brain work so hard to process the information on your site.
You want repetition on your website because you want to have a similar feel across the entire site. If you are constantly changing the theme and appearance of each page on your website, it could leave visitors with the feeling that they are switching over to a whole new site. When you have elements that are repeated throughout the site, it brings more consistency and allows visitors to feel more comfortable when going through the site. A good rule of thumb for this is to make your pages consistent with your homepage.
When a website has sharp images, brighter colors, and a difference between foreground and background, you are able to make things pop more, increase readability, and get more of a dynamic feel. People will often make the mistake of having a photo in the background with an overlay that isn’t dark enough to have good readability of the text.
Rather than having images and text that are all the same size giving your site a monotonous feeling, you want to have a large element that draws you in followed up by clearly smaller elements. This will help you to show your visitors what is important and draw them in towards call to actions and action buttons. You should be sure to prioritize the actions that you want your visitors to take with the size and location of the different calls to actions and buttons on the page so that those important items get more engagement.
So what is it about your website that captures their attention first? Then what after that?
Having a clear hierarchy makes it more likely for you to draw your customers in. When all your text and images are the same size, it can leave people feeling lost and not knowing where they should look first.
When you make it more clear as to what is important, it will help people to not have to work to as hard to find what you want them to see.
Now that you know what helps with your conversion rate, let’s talk about what kills it.
5 Things That Kill Your Conversion Rate
1. Sliders – A carousel flashing through different messaging with sliders on your page distracts people from the important things on your site.
2. Long forms – Having long forms to fill out is just flat out not attractive and will turn people away. Nobody wants to sit there for 30 minutes to fill out unnecessary questions.
3. Lack of trust factors – Having trust factors can make a huge difference. People like to see that you are proven and have been able to have prior success.
4. Not having clear call to actions and action buttons – not having a clear call to action or action buttons can leave visitors feeling lost. When you have these buttons, you are able to nudge your visitors into the places you want them to go.
5. Having a slow website that takes too long to load – if you have a website that takes a long time to load, people are going to get annoyed. We like to have things that move quickly and don’t like to wait around for things to load.
Having a well-designed website isn’t something that should be overlooked. In fact, Adobe says that 38% of people will leave your website if it is a low end and unattractive website.
A well-designed website can also help with time on site and benefit your SEO as well.
When you follow these 5 principles of design, you will be well on your way to increasing your conversions.